Sunday, May 6, 2018

Fontana Angelica

The fountain Angelica is situated in piazza Solferino, one of the beautiful piazza in Turin.


Inaugurated in 1929, it consists of four impressive groups of statues that represent the four seasons. It was commissioned by the mayor Riccardo Cattaneo on a project by the sculptor Giovanni Riva,  thanks to the financing by testamentary legacy of the minister Paolo Bajnotti (1842-1919), and it took the name of his mother Angelica Cugiani Bajnotti. Initially it was decided to place the fountain in front of the Cathedral, in Piazza San Giovanni, but then Piazza Solferino was chosen due to opposition of the Church. The figures of the four seasons would have in fact multiple symbolic Masonic and Mythological values:
Spring: female statue on the lower eastern side outside, it represents the sacred love, the virtue, with a nest of birds in her lap and a child who throws a flock of swallows in the air.Summer: a female statue on the lower western side outside, it represents the profane love, the vice, and holds in the lap of the ears, with a child holding a garland of fruit.Autumn: a male statue to the east but looking westward, represents Boaz, one of the supporters of the Pillars of Hercules.Winter: central statue to the west but looking towards the east, represents Jaquim, the other supporter of the Pillars of Hercules.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Reflection After The Rain

Has been raining for a few days, ponds of water left on the ground which help to reflect the gorgeous setting of Torino.


One of the favourite location to take a reflction shot is definitely in piazza Castello, in front of the fountain right in center with the Royal Palace.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Squares 1- Le Piazze 1 - Piazza Castello And Piazza San Carlo

There are many piazza in Turin, just like all the other Italy cities, the main and bigger piazza in the center of Turin are Piazza Castello, Piazza Vittorio, Piazza San Carlo, Piazza Carignano, Piazza Carlo Alberto, Piazza Statuto, Piazza Solferino....



Just some 10, 20 years ago, some of the piazzas were quite different from what they are now......
Piazza Castello was full of parked cars, and the piazza was very, very much less 'decorated' as today.
Piazza Castello is the second largest piazza in Turin, it was designed by Ascanio Vitozzi back in 1584.


Remember when I first arrived in Turin, the piazza was full of parked cars, the buildings on the three sides were astonishing beautiful, but the same couldn't be said for the grayish piazza.
Now, various modification have been done, the car park was removed, the stone pavement was restored and cleaned, fountains were added and later with colors lights installed. Now the piazza is lively and vidid, often animated by street artists performing in the piazza, concerts are also often held in the piazza, in summer, the fountains are basically the playground of children to have fun with the water.


In the piazza, are located some major attractions of Turin. Right in the center of the piazza there is the Royal Palace, the Palazzo Madama, the church San Lorenzo which once kept the holy shroud when It was first arrived in Turin and now still keepin a copy of the shroud, the Palazzo della Prefettura-Armeria Reale and the Teatro Regio, the most important theatre in Turin on one end. In addition, there are 3 historic and spectacular monuments in the piazza : the Monument to the Knight of Italy, the work of Piero Canonica of 1923, the Statue of the army of Sardo Bishop, by Vincenzo Vela in 1859 and the monument dedicated to Emanuele Filiberto Duke of Aosta.


Three sides of the piazza link to the 3 major shopping streets of Turin :
In front of the palazzo Madama is via Garibaldi, one of the longest pedestrian streets in Europe with many shops and restaurants. In the direstion towards the train station Porta Nuova is via Roma, a high end shopping street with many luxury products shops and is partially closed off to traffic. In front of the monument dedicated to Emanuele Filiberto Duke of Aosta is via Po which leads to the river Po, an interesting street with lots of shops, bars, restaurants and a row of used books stalls under the arcade.




Overall, the piazza is a perfect point to start exploring Turin, it has an historical sense and a vibrant atmosphere

From piazza Castello walk along via Roma, one reaches piazza San Carlo.


Piazza San Carlo is one of the most important squares of the historic center of Turin. Often dubbed by Turin the "living room" of the city, it is inserted into the axis of Via Roma road, which connects Piazza Castello and Piazza Carlo Felice.The most beautiful of Turin, former parade and the market ground , it maintains the seventeenth aspect of harmonious uniformity conferred by the Royal Carlo di Castellamonte (1642-1650).


In the center stands the equestrian statue of Emanuele Filiberto, represented by Carlo Marocchetti (1838) in the act of sheathe his sword after the battle of St. Quentin in 1557, one of the most important statues of the early nineteenth century (nicknamed El Caval d'brons) .The short side of the south-west square is bordered by the almost twin façades of the churches of Santa Cristina and San Carlo.



Noble palaces that overlook the Piazza San Carlo, among which should be noted, at n. 183, the Palazzo Solaro del Borgo. A three-storey palace, with an elegant facade and porticoed to a sixteenth-century Castellamonte design for the Marquis de Senantes, then repainted by Benedetto Alfieri in 1753 for the Carnation Isniars, then sold in 1770 to the Asinari family of Bernezzo, who refurished it and in turn, in 1782, sold to the Solaro del Borgo. Today it is used as a hotel and as the seat of the Turin Philharmonic Society.


Worthy of a visit are the traditional cafés San Carlo, which opened in 1842, the Turin Coffee and pastries Stratta brothers, with the original furnishings of 1836.Recently completed, in 2004 work began on the redevelopment of the square, with its full pedestrianization through the progressive elimination of vehicular traffic and no parking to cars and the creation of a distributed underground parking on one level that will host 380 parking spaces.

Worth to pay attention also to the pavement of the piazza which often is the subject of many photographers.
Years ago, the piazza was less attractive, as traffic was allowed to pass through and cars would just went round and round the piazza like a parade.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Archaeology in Turin

The Museum of Antiquities in Turin recently opens its third section with the exhibition "Archaeology in Turin" , dedicated to the long history of the city. The transfer of the Savoy Gallery in the New Wing of the Royal Palace and the creation of a single entrance for the two museums - which help to complete the Royal Polo - provided an opportunity for the preparation of the premises in the basement, directly overlooking the theater Roman.



The displayed materials are from the result of recent excavations and have never been exposed,






In 1940, with the final separation from the Egyptian Museum, stands the new Museum of Antiquities, which since 1982 had found an independent home in the nineteenth century greenhouses of the Royal Palace, where currently the historic core of the collections is displayed. The collections of antiquities of Savoy, which were joined by other international donations and acquisitions, allowing them to trace the evolution of the taste for collecting and testify to the growing interest in archeology in Piedmont.








A new pavilion, created in 1998, includes the section of the Piedmont region. Along the exhibition runs a great trip back in time to meet one after the other, as in the reality of the archaeological excavation, and the many and amazing testimonies of the ancient Piedmont. There is an additional section devoted to the Roman cities of Piedmont and in particular to Augusta Taurinorum in the basement of the New Channel of the Royal Palace, which is a unique connection with the archaeological area of the Roman Theatre.






( Texts quoted from http://www.piemonte.beniculturali.it/index.php/en/i-luoghi-della-cultura/musei/museo-archeologico )

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Arcade - I Portici - 历史的拱廊

One of the characteristic of Turin is its arcade ( portici ) . A total of 18 km long, of which 12.5 km is continuous and connected. The arcades spread mainly in the town center, some are well maintained and beautifully decorated, other are less glamous and shown sign of aged, but nevertheless equally charming.
Paved with different styles, such as the gray stone of via Po, the marble of via Roma, the Turin arcades are an all in one expression of urban, architectural, aesthetic and socio-economic.



Via Roma



One of the more famous arcade would be the one along via Po, starting from piazza Castello up to piazza Vittorio.  
In 1720, under the reign of Vittorio Amedeo II of Savoy, there were some alterations to the buildings that led to the addition of the arcades that characterize it, and was named "via Po".
It is fun to take note that the arcade on one side of via Po is covered even for the parts crossing the small street, and the other side of the road isn't. The terraces covering the crossing were built by the king Vittorio Emanuele I of Savoy, it was meant for his walk and for the sake of not getting wet in case it rains.  


Via Po


Today, taking a walk isn't the only activity, dotted with inviting shops, bars and restaurants, one can shop, eat, drink and spend wonderful time with friends and family under the arcades of Turin


Via Pietro Micca
                                                                  
                                                                     Via Cernaia 

Travellers who visit Turin, should take some time to explore these arcades!

都灵的特征之一是它的拱廊(portici)。总长18公里,其中12.5公里为连续连通。拱廊主要集中在市中心,一些维护良好,装饰精美,一些朴实并显现岁月留痕,无论是铺满精美浮雕,或是简单充满斑点污迹的弧形,都同样魅力十足。 


Teatro Regio


 Piazza Castello

各自拥有不同的地面铺设风格,如波街( Via Pon )的灰石,罗马( Via Roma )大理石,都灵拱廊表达了都灵的城市,建筑,美学和社会经济。
 

Piazza Statuto




Corso Vittorio Emanuele II




Corso Vinzaglio

其中一个着名的沿着波街,从城堡广场( Piazza Castello) 到维托里奥广场( Piazza Vittorio )的拱廊在1720年,在萨沃伊的Vittorio Amedeo 二世统治下,那一带有一些建筑被下令更改,导致添加的拱廊,成为了这条街的特点,并被命名为“波街”。有趣的是,波街的一侧穿过小街道的部分的拱廊覆盖,而道路的另一侧却没有。这些提供覆盖的露台是由萨沃伊国王维托里奥·埃马努埃莱一世建造的,目的是为了他散步时,在下雨的情况下不会被淋湿。今天,散步不是唯一的活动,点缀着迷人的商店,酒吧和餐馆,人们可以在都灵的拱廊下购物,吃喝玩乐,并与朋友和家人度过美好的时光.

来都灵游玩的旅客,别忘了抽空观赏这些具有历史价值又独特的拱廊